Friday, January 4, 2013

Full Obedience

Jan. 4, 2013

For today's devotions I read the following:

Genesis 8:1-10:32
Matthew 4:12-25
Psalm 4:1-8
Proverbs 1:20-23

Genesis 8-10 continues the story of Noah and the Great Flood. At this point, the waters receded off the face of the earth and Noah and his family were once again able to step on dry land. I thought it was interesting how many times God told Noah to "multiply and fill the earth". For me, it was another reminder of how important it is to trust God with family size.

In Matthew 4:12-25 we see Jesus beginning the start of His ministry. He calls to Peter, Andrew, James and John to follow Him, and they immediately stop what they're doing and follow Him. Oh, to have obedience like that! How often do I hear God calling me to do something, but instead make excuses as to why I can't obey immediately? Lord, forgive me for my disobedience. I pray I might be like your disciples and follow You always.

Psalm 4:1-8. This is a passage about how, no matter how hard life seems, I know that if I call out to God He will hear my prayers. It is so comforting to know that when things seem bleak and impossible I have my God who loves me, and has a great plan for my life. I can face anything that comes my way, because I know that God will always be with me.

Today, I felt as though the message God was trying to teach me was that of Full Obedience. I need to obey Him when it's easy, and when it's hard. I need to stop putting my own desires ahead of what He desires for me! Only then will I experience true joy and the desires of my heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment