Sunday, January 6, 2013

Trusting God

First of all, I'm sorry for not posting my thoughts on the scripture reading yesterday. I have decided to post both yesterday's and today's readings here, instead.

Genesis 11:1-13:4-This passage starts out talking about the sons of Shem, which ends with the marriage of Abram to Sarai. At one point, the Lord tells Abram to pack up everything he owns and move his family to the land the Lord has promised for him. Without hesitation, Abram does exactly what the Lord says. He has full obedience and trust in the Lord that He will provide for him. But, when they enter into the land of Egypt Abram suddenly forgets that he can depend upon God to take care of them. Afraid that he will be put to death when Pharoah sees how beautiful his wife is, he tells Sarai to lie to the Pharaoh and state that she is his sister in order to save his own life. Just imagine how much better it would have been for Abram and Sarai if they would have just kept their faith in God and leaned on His Promise to never forsake them! Lord, I pray that I would stop trying to take matters into my own hands, but that instead I might give full obedience and full trust over to You!

Matthew 5:1-26-I think what stood out to me the most in this passage is metaphors of Christians being both the salt and the light. Jesus is very clear on how Christians are to live. I am called to be the salt of the earth. And, just like salt is worthless if it loses it's flavor, so is a Christian who does not live a life pleasing to God. Lord, I pray that I will never lose my "saltiness". Give me the strength to be a Light in this dark world for You, God!

Psalm 5:1-12-Lord, just like David I desire to spend every waking moment talking to You and praising Your name. Give me a love for You Lord that surpasses all others! 
 
Proverbs 1:24-28-I need to stop turning to God only when life is hard, but instead lean on Him at all times, through the good and the bad. I need to trust Him fully to take care of me.

Genesis 13:5-15:21-Even though Abram did not fully trust in God to take care of him, God still made a promise to Abram to bless him and make him the father of many nations.How Great is our God to forgive us our sins and still promise to bless us when we turn back to Him! 

Matthew 5:27-48-In this passage, Jesus gives a lot of great commands on how we are to live a life pleasing to God. Being faithful to your spouse, speaking the truth at all times, and treating your others-even your enemies-the way you would want to be treated. Lord, I pray that you would give me the courage to speak the truth always, no matter how difficult it may be. Lord, give me a heart that yearns to see others come to You, and help me to treat others in the same fashion that I would want to be treated.

Psalm 6:1-10-Lord, have mercy on me and forgive my sins. I pray that you would keep my enemies from me and protect me always. 
 
Proverbs 1:29-33

No comments:

Post a Comment