Friday, January 25, 2013

Oh, How He's Grown!

 I always think it's funny when people tell me how "lucky" I am that Gunnar is a good sleeper. Yes, he does have a very easy temperament, but I also worked really hard at sleep training him as a newborn--and no, it was not easy! But, I am so thankful every day that I stuck with it in those first few weeks! I also hear a lot that my next baby will be the "wild" one since Gunnar is so easy. And, while the personality of the next one might (actually, most likely!) will be different from Gunnar, I will still use the same parenting and sleep-training techniques. :)

 We have been extremely blessed by God with such a laid-back, happy, sociable little guy! He is the easiest baby to take care of....he doesn't even cry when he has a cold! My husband and I decided to give our fertility over to God and let Him choose our family size before Gunnar was born, but I think that if we hadn't we would have changed our minds pretty quickly :) He's just so much fun, and we can't wait to add more fun to our family!

 Today I took Gunnar to his 9 month well-baby check up. As usual, everyone there commented on what a happy baby he is, and that they've never seen a baby smile that much :) He is still in the 50th percentile for weight and height (19 lbs 14 oz and 27 1/4 inches). He is still doing the "wounded army crawl", but I have seen him do a normal crawl, so I know he is capable of doing it...he just likes the other way better :) He is also starting to pull himself up on furniture. And, the Dr. told me today that he can start eating table foods! :) I am so excited about this! Obviously there are still some things that will be off limits for a while (we're not celebrating with filet mignon quite yet!), but she said that overall as long as it isn't too spicy and the bites are small enough he can have what we eat. My grocery budget is happy about that! For lunch today we both had cheese quesadillas (just had to make one...he had about 10 bites and I had the rest!), canned mixed vegetables, and shared a banana. Tonight we are having breaded chicken sandwiches and mashed potatoes for dinner. I think he is really going to enjoy that!

So yes, he has grown so much! It's hard to believe that 9 months ago today he was a tiny little newborn, and now he is self-feeding himself (food and bottle), crawling, pulling up on furniture, and eating table food. It's a very bittersweet moment. Hate to see him grow up so fast, but at the same time I love how independent he is becoming! 





No comments:

Post a Comment